Monday, March 9, 2009

Learn to like it

I haven't written because I've been writing.

Since this is a blog about the song writing process, I'm sure you get the point.

This new one is a challenge. It's slow tempo, and back to my 6/8 roots. Kind of a waltz but not quite.

the reason it's such a challenge is because the only thing I like about it so far is the first stanza.

"Only hope draws a solid line. I can see why you would need to dance for better days"

Evertime I try to write past that line I run into a brick wall, with teeth, and claws. I let myself off the hook for an hour or two so I can plunge through the rest and then I walk or stumble off to bed.

"Its good" I tell myself. "It will still be good in the morning"

but it never is.

only the first stanza I keep.

this is why songwriters are supposed to start at the chorus. their supposed to pick a topic before they begin writing so that the rest can be filler. but no. I have to go and blow my whole wad at the first two lines.

then inhibition starts kicking in. I stop to rewrite each word. each phrase. I try on new melody lines and change keys. This is long before I've even got to the important part of the song, which should be the chorus. I feel like a girl in front of the mirror on prom night.

Well, maybe you'll be glad to know that I'm half way through.

I found a chorus and I'm sticking to it. I guess I'll learn to like it. Who knows.

Maybe I'll just throw the stupid thing out and begin again tomorrow.

Happy Monday Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment