Monday, March 2, 2009

Catch it to Me (Part III) Of Big Blue Balls

Now of course it occured to me right away that using a phrase like "Catch it to me" is dangerously close to the kitchy taboo I've imposed on this project.

It's too cute. It's exactly the kind of silly rubbish that I want to try to avoid at all costs.

And there's absolutely no way of explaining the line without explaining who said it and why.

So how do I get away with it? How do I make it into something unfluffy? How do I darken it up a bit?

Well it just so happened, dot dot dot.

A few months later, my wife and I were at it again, ("talking" I mean) and Calvin had discovered this huge blue excercise ball that was purchased during my wife's pregnancy, used once, deflated and left in the garage for future generations.

To a little boy, this was the coolest thing ever. And while my wife and I were talking, he invented a new game.

A dangerous new game.

He would put the ball in the middle of the lawn and run at it at full speed. Just as he reached the ball he would jump into the air, bounce off the top of it, and roll head first into the ground.

I laughed. My wife screamed.

To her this was a recipe for a broken neck.

He could die!
He's not gonna die
Make him stop!
I don't wanna.
Please . . .
Fine.

So then I invented a much less interesting game where we would roll the ball back and forth between us. This new game lasted exactly thirty seconds after my wife went back inside. Then the game got down right brutal.

First, I would throw the ball high into the air and it would come crashing down, throwing his thin little frame several feet away. We laughed.

Then he would back up to the edge of the grass and run straight towards the ball as I hurled it forward like a pro-bowler. He would jump again just as the ball reached him, but this time it would throw him high into the air into a crazy spin before crashing back down to the earth. Boy did we laugh.

Of course my wife caught a little bit of this through the kitchen window and wasn't happy about it. She made us stop.

But the minute she turned around to head back into the house, Calvin ran to me, got up on his tippy toes and whispered.

ready daddy, catch it to me.

Now instead of being a cute little derivation from the english language, catch it to me became this dirty little secret.

I started hearing perfect alliterations
"Big Blue Bouncing"
"Pleases in Playing"
"Little Lies Linger"

Catch it to me became a bond of love, danger, and secrets.

Thats a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment