Tuesday, March 17, 2009

and so it continues

everything about the first album went wrong.

my god, how everything went wrong.

from the moment I turned on the mic nothing but epic greek tragedies awaited me.

and it still continues.

this afternoon when I got home there was a message waiting from me from the printing company. apparently the proofs for the back panel were going to clip half the text.

I used their templates. I colored in the lines. and yet I still couldn't get it right.

but this is not the worst. this was an easy fix. until I tried to upload the new template. then the software I was using didn't recognize my file.

So I tried to email the pdf instead.

too big to email.

I created a new file.

ten minutes later . . . . upload complete.

However, what should have taken all of 30 seconds, blew half of my afternoon. I might have started a new workout routine. Guess that'll have to wait.

But again, this is not the worst little catastrophe. The worst happened when the teenager uploaded a virus on my computer that totally dismantled the recording program that organizes all of the instrument tracks. I spent months piecing together all of the recorded instruments one track at a time, rerecording lost files, scrapping great takes.

It was like trying to put together all the ikea furnature in the house without instructions or an allen wrench.

The whole album still smells of wood glue and duct tape.

As I got closer to the end, I gave up any level of artistic integrity and just started throwing paint on the wall. like jackson pollack, or a monkey.

Spinal Tap stopped being funny.

But I did it. I'm better for it. This time I won't make the same mistakes, won't be as beaten down by the set-backs.

Someday, I may even forgive the teenager.

Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment