Tuesday, April 7, 2009

of rain and copyright law

Today is a fine day for chili.

As the rain blows past my window, chili simmering on the stove, my eyes still filled with onion induced sobbing. I should be strumming on an old guitar, bouncing melodies off the silent uncritical walls and be happy.

A stormy day is the best time for self reflection. The best time to pen a sappy ballad.

Plus, rain makes a good ryhming word.

But alas, tis not to be.

This afternoon, instead of basking in the melocholy glory, I'll be filling out an endless supply of forms dedicated to proving that I wrote what I wrote, and protecting my legacy from the cowardly acts of plaguerism. Yay.

Yeasterday, after a much needed flash of inspiration, I recorded the song that had been giving me so much trouble.

Flush with victory, I told my wife about what I had done and that the song was ready to post online.

Of course, being the level headed half of this union, the first thing that came out of her mouth was "You did copyright it first, . . . right?"

The only thing that would have made the pause more dramactically correct is if she raised her eyebrows and tapped her foot.

"No honey . . . not yet."

Her dissapointment in me is legendary.

So here I am today filling out forms. Typing lyrics. Writing checks.

Now the law is pretty clear. Once a piece has been written, it is therefore copyrighted. It's intellectual property the minute it is finished. However, in order to take someone to court for stealing your tune, said tune has to be registered with the copyright office.

The amount of paperwork is actually minimal. Two pages of legal stuff declaring that you are the true writer of said tune and that you didn't steal it from anyone. Then you have to enclose a digital copy of the tune, a lyric sheet, a check for thirty or so dollars and send it snail mail. Once that has happened you can wait three to six months before a notice arrives stating that you are in fact the writer, and that you are elligible for jury duty in Des Moine, Iowa.

Its very easy. Relatively cheap. And something I have absolutely no interest in doing on such a fine day.

Like come on, who's gonna find my work, let alone steal it?

Bad people, my son, bad people.

So, when all is said and done I will add another piece of my life's puzzle to the Library of Congress, and if anyone is foolish enough, (or cool enough) to steal these songs before the piggies have gone to market, then they'll be in big trouble I tell you. Big.

So for all of my friends and family, the tune is posted on my myspace. Listen. Enjoy. Tell me what you think.

www.myspace.com/joshmacrae

and for all you bad people.

The check is in the mail.

1 comment:

  1. You got it easy, back in the day we had to actually write out the sheet music, have the lyrics carved in stone and deliver the documents to Washington DC on foot. then we waited three years before we could sing in public. You Kids!

    ReplyDelete